Re: Crash with inline

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Crash with inline
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:23:00 -0400

On 16-Sep-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Ok this patch made the function that was picked up change after a CD,
| but WHICH still identifies the incorrect function, even after it is
| reparsed (ie. used).

Can you show precisely what the problem is?  Here is what I see:

  octave:1> foo
  ans = 1
  octave:2> which foo
  foo is the user-defined function from the file
  /scratch/jwe/build/octave/foo.m
  octave:3> cd ..
  octave:4> which foo
  foo is the user-defined function from the file
  /scratch/jwe/build/foo.m
  octave:5> foo
  ans = 2
  octave:6> cd octave
  octave:7> which foo
  foo is the user-defined function from the file
  /scratch/jwe/build/octave/foo.m
  octave:8> foo
  ans = 1

In this example, there are two functions.  One in

  /scratch/jwe/build/octave/foo.m

that returns 1, and another in

  /scratch/jwe/build/foo.m

that returns 2.  I'm starting out in /scratch/jwe/build/octave.  It
seems that WHICH finds the correct one in each case, as does the
function lookup code.  The following also appears to me to be working
correctly:

  octave:1> foo
  ans = 1
  octave:2> cd ..
  octave:3> foo
  ans = 2
  octave:4> which foo
  foo is the user-defined function from the file
  /scratch/jwe/build/foo.m
  octave:5> cd octave
  octave:6> foo
  ans = 1
  octave:7> which foo
  foo is the user-defined function from the file
  /scratch/jwe/build/octave/foo.m

(evaluating before calling WHICH).  At least I think this is the right
behavior.  If not, please explain what is going wrong here, as I don't
see it.