Re: nonlinear optimization code (was Suggestion for improving Octave)

From: Jskud
Subject: Re: nonlinear optimization code (was Suggestion for improving Octave)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:16:46 -0700

Hi.

I have secured permission from Yinyu Ye to release his self-contained
"solnp" dense constrained nonlinear solver, under GPL.  It is just two
functions, written entirely in Octave.  It is simpler to use, works
well, and ran twice as fast as a reimplementation of the
method-of-multipliers I wrote.

I've heavily commented and restructured the code, added diagnostics,
added references, corrected confusing typo's, and made minor changes to
avoid globals (but as far as I can tell, the code was bug free, so
what's out there is safe to use), and created a developer-friently test
suite for it.

I still need to port the (substantial) documentation to texi, and
create some automatic validation to run as part of a build.

Rather than have many different versions floating around, I really want
to get an official and up-to-date version submitted as part of Octave.

If someone else would like to take up the challenge of releasing the
updated solnp into Octave, I would be happy to pass the baton: 3 .m
files, plain .tex file, and some notes -- I can't justify silently
sitting on it any longer, and it is still not at the top of my very long
to do list.

/Jskud