MathML

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: MathML
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:36:37 +0200

Hi,
I've been playing a bit with the generation of HTML documentation. If I use texi2html I can get images in the html documents containing math (texi2html can call latex2html). Now, it would be better to use makeinfo instead og texi2html, as it supports texinfo better. The problem is that makeinfo can't generate math contents automaticly. It seems to me that the new and fancy way to present math online is using MathML. My question is would patches that add's MathML to the documentation be accepted?

I think I should mention that MathML isn't a very easy to read format and even small things can take up alot of space. Here's an example:
The following TeX:
$$ {\rm mean}(x) = \bar{x} = {1\over N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i $$
becomes this in MathML:
  <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";>
    <mi mathvariant="normal">mean</mi>
    <mfenced>