Re: Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Billings  wrote:

> I have read as much as this thread as I can, including all the traffic on
> the gcc bugzilla report. ...  Is the problem present in the currently
> distributed octave executable in cygwin?
>
> Paul

There is bad news, and there is good news.  The good news is that octave on
cygwin is currently built with gcc3.3, which doesn't have this bug.  The bad
news is that this is done because the problems with building octave on cygwin
with gcc3.4 are so severe that the build hangs before producing its first user
prompt.

I build octave on cygwin so I can use it myself, and it is pretty speedy,
particularly if you install lapack source and build an optimized blas library.

Feel free to try it, and post questions to address@hidden

Jim Phillips
octave cygwin maintainer