RE: object-oriented programming in Octave

From: Paul Billings
Subject: RE: object-oriented programming in Octave
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:08:26 -1000

I think this would be wonderful.  My reason for posting is to say that I
hope it is better than Matlab's implementation.  Their OO support is
rudimentary at best, given the lack of references.  The problem enters when
trying to share something between two other objects:
  r = common_obj(...);
  o1 = myobj(r, ...);
  o2 = myobj(r, ...);

Guess what?  O1 and O2 have separate r-objects.  If o1 modifies r (or asks
its r to change state), it is no longer the same as o2.r.  Any sort of
doc/view (subject/observer) pattern is impossible.

Secondly, you cannot access base class fields from subclasses, which
requires you to implement get/set hooks for access.  This either exposes
variables that shouldn't be exposed, or you have a "private" get/set
function (with a different name) and have to remember which variables are
private.

Paul