Re: DEFVARs again (was Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messa

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: DEFVARs again (was Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messages?)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:01:32 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:

We currently have about 75 built-in variables.  21 are warn_*
variables that can be removed and replaced with the new warning tag
mechanishm.  Of the rest, I think the biggest problem will be with
LOADPATH, gnuplot_binary, automatic_replot, page_screen_output,
page_output_immediately, etc.  These are symbols that we have told
people to use as variables that would now have to be used
differently.

But the change has the advantage of simplifying the internals of
Octave a bit (no more lookup up built-in variables separately from
functions, for example).

This is a big change.  I'd like to see some discussion before deciding
what to do about it.  If I don't see any discussion, I might think
that everyone enthusiatically supports making the change.

Haven't been following too closely, but if it boils down to the manner in which
automatic_replot is set I personally wouldn't be bothered by that if you think
what you are suggesting will improve matters.

It's unfortunate that for compatibility the title(), axis() etc must follow the
plot() command in order to not complain.

Actually, what would be nice is if the "automatic_replot" could be eliminated.  But must be
careful with that; it would require that "print -d<style>" works seemlessly.  If one must
resort to

graw('set output ''output.file''\n');
plot(x,'-r');
axis([0 10 0 20]);
title('A plot');
graw('set output\n');

for whatever reason, the output file will end up with several plots overlayed.

Generally, automatic_replot works OK, except when the commands appear in a script file or
buffered commands copied to the command line, in which case graphs are flashing on and
off, replotting in confusing ways.  It would be nice if in those instances, the plot
commands axis(), title() etc. could be "buffered" until the next plot comes
along or the end of the script file completes... or a set amount of time passes (in the
case something in the script file is plotted then some really lengthy recursive
computation is done).

Dan