page_screen_output not working

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: page_screen_output not working
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 12:56:25 -0400

On 21-May-2006, John Swensen wrote:

| I just recently compiled the CVS head (2.9.5+) and am seeing some weird
| behavior.  When I set page_screen_output to zero, it is still calling
| the pager.  If I call "more off", the pager is not called.  Is the
| internal variable page_screen_output being phased out, or is there some
| other explanation for why this isn't working.
|
| Platform: Dual G5 and OSX 10.4
| Compilers: Apple GCC and G++ and Fink G95
| Configure line: F77=g95 CXXFLAGS="-I/sw/include" CFLAGS="-I/sw/include"
| LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" ./configure --prefix=/opt
|

| Other than that, everything else seems to be working great.

See this entry in the NEWS file:

 ** All built-in variables have been converted to functions.  This
    change simplifies the interpreter and allows a consistent
    interface to internal variables for user-defined packages and the
    core functions distributed with Octave.  In most cases, code that
    simply accesses internal variables does not need to change.  Code
    that sets internal variables will change.  For example, instead of
    writing

      PS1 = ">> ";

    you will need to write

    If you need write code that will run in both old and new versions
    of Octave, you can use something like

      if (exist ("OCTAVE_VERSION") == 5)
        ## New:
      else