Installation Progress and legend.m bug

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Installation Progress and legend.m bug
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:29:30 -0600

Hi all,

My installation of octave-2.9.7 and octave-forge on my G5 Mac, built with OS
X 10.4.7, Xcode-2.3 and gfortran, is mostly working (hooray), with some
exceptions.

1) I get several warning messages like: "configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not
found.  This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices."
Sounds like I need another library installed before building?

2) I noticed that while building octave-forge-2006.07.09, that the gsl
libraries are complaining and not linking. The gsl libraries were built with
OS X 10.3.9, so I may need to rebuild and reinstall gsl with OS X 10.4.7.
I'll try that later.

3) I used the octave-forge-2006.07.09 download because I couldn't pick the
anonymous lock on octave-forge CVS (again). Could someone please point me to
the correct set of instructions? I searched both high and low, and the "zero
length" password approach didn't work.

For most cases, octave-2.9.7 seems to be working well. For example, my
empirical mode decomposition routine ran correctly to completion with
gnuplot-4.1. The only problem I have encountered so far, and it may be a
Mac-related bug, is with the legend routine:

octave:1> run_recess_butter
Enter name of input file: DOE-RW3-DP-data.txt
fileid =  3
len_t =  1601
sh: line 1: kpsexpand: command not found
sh: line 1: kpsexpand: command not found
sh: line 1: kpsexpand: command not found
sh: line 1: kpsexpand: command not found
pl
'/var/tmp/oct-yriZCd'
line 1
,
'/var/tmp/oct-XmksA0'
line 2
,
'/var/tmp/oct-e1HVSN'
line 3
error: split: both s and t must be strings
error: evaluating if command near line 53, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 48, column 3
error: called from `split' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.7/m/strings/split.m'
error: called from `legend' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.7/site/m/octave-forge/plot/legend.m'
error: called from `run_recess_butter' in file
`/Users/jakoski/Codes/Recession Rate Calculations/run_recess_butter.m'
octave:1> exit

where octave-forge appears to be attempting some string operations with some
temporary file names. I looked at legend.m and string.m, but the solution to
the problem did not immediately jump out at me. Should I just report this as
a bug to address@hidden, or is it treated as a developmental issue? I'm
willing to apply patches, etc. In the mean time, I'll just switch back to
octave-2.1.73 if I need to run my two applications that depend on legend.

Thanks for the help. I got further than I expected this weekend.

Joe