RE: Re: MSVC compiler support [patch 6]: Default program definition

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: Re: MSVC compiler support [patch 6]: Default program definition
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:35:03 -0400

On 27-Oct-2006, address@hidden wrote:

| > I made the following change. Is there any reason to not do this? If
| > someone has less installed, I would assume it would be better to
| > to use that instead of more.com.
|
| The problem is that compilation is performed from the MSYS shell,
| where less can (and usually) exists. However, if you then start the
| compiled octave from a normal command prompt (which is the target),
| less is not known anymore. That's why I restricted it to more.com only,
| because I'm sure this will exist in any Win32 command prompt.

We have this problem when generating binary packages for other systems
as well, so I don't think it is a serious problem.  The person
generating the binary package will have to include a number of
external run-time dependencies anyway, so this is just one of them.
I think the change we need to make is to document what those external
dependencies are.