Re: Licensing issues (Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave)

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Licensing issues (Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:41:51 +0200

On 4/26/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26-Apr-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| Quite difficult to answer... Here's more or less how it works:
| - the java interface is linked against Octave (of course)
| - the java interface is not linked against with JRE, but loads it
| (jvm.dll) dynamically (like a "dlopen")

For the GPL, that counts as linking.

I know, this was just for completeness.

| - the JVM loads the Java classes (bytecode) on-demand, including JOGL
| It's unclear to me how this impacts Octave from a license point of view.

JOGL is just JAVA bytecodes?  Somehow it calls OpenGL functions, which
are defined in a C library, correct?

JOGL is two-fold:
- a thin wrapper written in Java that makes the user-level API
- a low-level interface to OpenGL written in JNI (C) that is loaded dynamically
by JOGL

Michael.