Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:04:03 +0200

> I just downloaded and looked at 3.7.33. The timing tests seemed shorter,
> but will still probably be an issue with a MinGW build... II

I can take a look at it. I'll try first 3.6.0 in cygwin with the mingw
compilers, if that does not work it'll be probably be wiser to switch
to the newer version...

> Take a look at the script in the mail thread
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Building-Octave-for-Windows-with-MinGW-tf2377593.html#a6633954
>
> which is what I had for MinGW two years ago.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at it.

> >> * Do you have an installer? Probably NSIS based?
> >
> > Not yet. I counted on being able to reuse Michael's NSIS scripts.
> > This should be possible given that the directory structure of the binary
> > and dependencies is practically the same.
> > I have not worked with nsis yet, but i guess it's not that hard to
> learn...
>
> Building first, :-)

a pity life is not acausal :)

> >> * Is there someway to use Michael's build process for MinGW as well? In
> >> fact could the build process be made compatible with both?
> >
> > What do you mean by "build process" ?
> > Every dependency at least comes with a makefile, so building them is
> > a matter of configure and/or make.
> > The Octave build process uses the configure&make procedure as-is.
>
> Yes, but that involves some manual work on the part the packager. I'd
> thought of a script that
>
> * downloads if necessary
> * patches
> * configures
> * makes
> * installs
>
> each package with the minimum work on the part of the packager.

Ah, I get the idea, well this surely can be done.

> > As micheal can probably tell, some problems arise in many small details,
> > and I created work-arounds to succeed a build. My current results are
> > not yet that professional to be immediately released, I did not expect
> > such quick positive response :)
>
> In fact its those workarounds that any build script would embody... I
> think a MinGW build is something that for a long time has been a desire
> of many of us.. I know I put quite an effort into a few years back.

I agree, this small but essential details should be covered by a build
script, otherwise it gets very tedious...

benjamin