Re: Java/JHandles available for Linux

From: Michael Jones
Subject: Re: Java/JHandles available for Linux
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have problems with the extra/java package which is required for
extra/jhandles. I am installing under linux with java SDK 1.4.2 (Sun J2SE).

1. problem:
In the configure script the java version is tested by calling "javac
-version". However javac doesn't understand "-version", instead "java
-version" gives the answer, but not in the format understood by the
configure script. So I hardcoded the version 1.4.2 into the script.

2. problem:
As posted by somebody else
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=10645618&framed=y
I get the same compiler error
__java__.cc:463: error: invalid conversion from ‘__jarray*’ to
‘__jobjectArray*’
and don't know how to proceed. Maybe a gcc problem (my version is 3.3.4)?

You write that you used "Sun java implementation 1.6". Could you specify
that more precisely (link)? If J2SE 6 is needed, this should be checked in
the configure script (which says java>=1.2 required).

Can someone confirm that installing J2SE6 solves the problems? Otherwise I'm
reluctant to update my running system.

Cheers
Michael