RE: killing the graphics list

From: Aaron Birenboim
Subject: RE: killing the graphics list
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:40:57 -0600

I have used Bugzilla, and found it pretty easy to install.
I'm not knowledgable enough about other OSS systems to comment.
Bugzilla was better than a commercial system I once used.

I hear good things about RT though.
BugZilla may not annoy your service provider as much
(running in parallel)

It is possible that BugZilla will be a better fit for Octave.
I usually hear RT used in more of an IT situation... Lots of little
"tickets" to track.  As opposed to software development.

Can anybody with RT experience speak to how well-fit
It would be for OSS development projects?

When I have used bugzilla, we did all bug reports and resolution from the
WWW.
I don't know if it can all be done by mail there.

Reporter filled out a form.
E-mail went to developer in charge.
Developer can re-assign to another developer/subordinate as necessary from
WWW.
When bug resolved, developer logs it on an HTML form, and e-mail is sent
To developer and reporter.

Whenever bug status is changed, e-mail goes to reporter.
This was great for us, since we wanted clients to know the
Status of their requests.  I think it can be turned off.

> | >   Web interface that can show the current status of bug
> reports (or
> | >   patches).  People should be able to see what bugs are
> open, fixed,
> | >   marked as "won't fix", assigned to someone, or whatever.

BugZilla has this.

> | >   Freely available source for the bug tracker, and at
> least somewhat
> | >   easy to install and configure.

BugZilla has this.

           Aaron