Re: Reading/writing sound files

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: Reading/writing sound files
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:10:14 +1000

Thomas Weber wrote:

> I thought the same when doing the above mentioned fixing, but I'm not
> into audio myself, so someone who has some real knowledge should do
> this.

Well I did offer :-).

> I think we should try to keep the current interface (i.e. wavread.m,
> wavwrite.m, ...). One strong reason for that is Matlab-compatibility.

Well wavread/wavwite might use the libsndfile stuff if that was available
when octave was compiled and if it wasn't available, those functions
could fall back onto the existing code.

However, wavread/write don't currently have any way of specifying how
to write file formats other than WAV. I'm not sure if that can be
grafted onto the existing wavread/wavwrite.

Erik