Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:42:38 -0500

Quentin Spencer wrote:

I have always wondered why we had a separate path for images. I'm all for getting rid of it.

I'm on board for that.  The only issue I wonder about is that if someone has a
path in which there are very large numbers of database files it might slow down
searching for M files?

John W. Eaton wrote:

In addition to .m files, Matlab searches "MATLABPATH" for files read
by load, opened by fopen, imread, etc.  I suppose doing the same for
Octave would be OK, but to avoid confusion, I don't think we should do
so without a warning for files that have relative names and that are
not found in the current directory.

I sort of see what you are getting at, but on further thought, why exactly? If the user enters
imread("./image1.jpg");
imread("../image2.jpg");

it is almost implicit that he or she has the current working directory in mind.
 But not so perhaps for

imread("xray/tibia2.jpg");

The rule is always look from working directory first, right?  So Octave would look for
"./xray/tibia2.jpg" then any other directories (sub "xray") afterward.

Dan

Dan