Re: [OctDev] Fwd: GPL question about distribution of interface between G

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Fwd: GPL question about distribution of interface between GPL'ed code and GPL-incompatible software
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 10:34:30 +0100

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the thread about octave license and oct files about 2 weeks ago,
> I contacted FSF lab for clarification. You can find the answer below (Note
> the IANAL disclaimer notice). Basically, you cannot distribute in any form
> oct file (or any code that is linked with octave) that is intended to be
> linked
> with GPL-incompatible software: this means any proprietary software, but
> also any free software with a GPLv3-incompatible license.
>
> Bye,
> Michael.

This statement validates my belief.. That is write a "mex-file", then
its primary use is for matlab and even if it can be used with Octave its
not a derivative work.. While Octave has a mex interface the mex-file
route makes all of this moot.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only