Re: Octave and Freemat

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: Octave and Freemat
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:09:17 -0500

Dear David,

Thank you for your quick reply.

That is an error, as the code on octave-forge is not part of Octave. The
copyright strings were recently updated in octave-forge and I believe

OK, I see that ORTH  http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/octave/scripts/linear-algebra/orth.m?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
is part of Octave, while ODE45 http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/extra/ode/inst/ode45.m?revision=HEAD&content-type=text/plain is not. I'll just leave the copyrights alone. For those files that I lift out of Octave (like ORTH), I will put a note that the file was copied into Freemat, and that Freemat's not part of Octave, and otherwise leave the copyright alone. Does that sound like the right idea?

roots is an octave core function and not from Octave forge, so send the
proposed patches to roots to address@hidden. As for octave-forge

The correct implementation of roots.m is

function z = roots(p)
  if(any(isnan(p) | isinf(p)))
     error('Input to ROOTS must not contain NaN or Inf.');
  end
  while(any(isinf(p./p(1))))
     p=p(2:end);
  end
  p = vec(p);
  n = numel(p)-1;
  A = diag(ones(n-1,1),-1);
  z = eig(A);

changes, those are easier to deal with as the acceptance process of
patches is easy.. Just send to the address@hidden list
and in generally you then commit the code yorself..

OK, I'll see what can be done for that.

--
Sébastien Loisel