binary lookup

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: binary lookup
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:24:05 +0100

hello,

please consider applying the attached changeset. It implements a
generic sequential binary lookup (optimized for dense downsampling)
in liboctave/oct-lookup.h and wraps it in src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/lookup.cc
instead of the current scripts/general/lookup.m which is implemented
using sort. Also, the new lookup can search cell arrays of strings.
At least one more DEFUN can benefit from including the algorithm in
liboctave: DLD-FUNCTIONS/__lin_interpn__.cc. This is not part of this
changeset - I'll create it later if this one is accepted.

Also attached is the benchmark script I've used last time. With the
improved sort the results are less impressive; still, in the optimized
"dense downsampling" case there is an order of magnitude performance
improvement (at least on my system).

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert