Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project

From: Eugene I
Subject: Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT)

dbateman wrote:

> I took the array-rework branch as the JIT in the other branch has been
> changed for nearly three months, whereas the array-rework branch there was
> a merge dated 9 days ago and so it seemed fresher.. So no work has been
> done on the JIT in the last three months or are there newer versions
> elsewhere?

Yes, we've been working mostly on the array changes. Once that's done we can
fix up the JIT part and keep expanding the cases that can be compiled.

dbateman wrote:

> Yes but the array class is so different from Octave to FreeMat that I
> expect that JITFunc is more inspiration that useful code for Octave :-)

Of course, whatever makes sense. Samit or I will be glad to answer questions
about the implementation (better ask on freemat list or by e-mail I don't
read octave list that often).

> Why not just write a stub function for unwind_protect,
> unwind_protect_cleanup and end_unwind_protect that does nothing.

There are many other differences between freemat and octave. I'm thinking
about writing a general script that would convert from one matlab dialect to
the other, but it is not trivial. It would be really great it import/export
of script could be completely automated.