matfile documentation

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: matfile documentation
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 04:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I wrote a translator from nastran-op2/op4 files to matlab-v4 binary files.
As octave nowadays supports more sophisticated mat-files I like to switch to
a higher matlab-binary-file version in order to support sparse matrices and
other Datablocks in octave/matlab (e.g. cell structures).

On the web I found some pdf describing version-5 of the matfile format.
http://www.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de/static/hard/zrsinfo/matlab/R14/help/pdf_doc/matlab/matfile_format.pdf
http://maxwell.me.gu.edu.au/spl/matlab-page/matfile_format.pdf

However even if one of the pdfs states that it is version-7 (maybe matlab R7??
who knows) it describes also only version-5 of the
mat-file. In octave I can see that -V5 does not exist at all. Only -V6 and -V7.
I assume -V6 and -V7 can read the version 5. However I assume that the octave
developers
know the differences between the different mat-file formats as they wrote code
for it. ;-)

Can anybody send me a link to a documentation of version 6 and version 7 of the
mat file format, so
I can figure out what might be the best target format for the translator?

Thanks and best regards, daniel heiserer

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.
Dem pfiffigeren Posteingang.
http://de.overview.mail.yahoo.com