Re: Behavior of 'mkdir'

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Behavior of 'mkdir'
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:10:47 +0200

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM, WMennerich <address@hidden> wrote:

> It depends on what we want to have:
> The octave 'mkdir' is more accurate: If a directory already exists,
> it can not be created. Hence, the behavior of octave seems to me more
> correct.
> If you get a 'true' from 'mkdir' with octave, you know that the directory
> exists and it is empy.
> If you get a 'true' from 'mkdir' with Matlab, you only know, that the
> directory
> exists and you must do an extra check whether it is empty or not.
>
> best, Wolfgang

I'd like to also notice that Matlab manual states that mkdir returns 1
on success and 0 on failure, so apparently they consider a mkdir of
existing directory as success (but they explain more in the next
paragraph).
In the same situation, GNU's mkdir reports a failure, so I assume
that's what POSIX wants. Can anyone check the Windows MKDIR? I'd
expect the same behaviour. Given that, I think that Octave's way makes
more sense and I'd vote for leaving it as it is.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert