axes limit calculations

From: David Bateman
Subject: axes limit calculations
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:55:40 +0200

While adding the graphics group objects like bar series, I noticed an issue with the way the axis limits are updated. The problem is that with each new object added or updated the limits are set, even if they aren't changed.

In general this would not cause a problem, but due to the fact that I associate a callback function to the "xlim" property of the axis to update the baseline of the bar and stem series, this callback is called many many more times that it needs to be. As the callback can be expensive this is an issue.

I see two manners in which to treat this issue

* If the [xyzac]limmode is "auto" and the value of the limit remains the same, don't set the value and therefore don't execute the callbacks. Of course if the [xyzac]limmode is "manual" and the limit is set even if its the same value then the callback should be called as this means the user explicitly set the limit

* If the [xyzac]limmode is "auto" then defer the setting of the limit itself till the [xyzac]lim_get method is called.

Michael/Shai could we make a change like this? If so it would make the bar and stem series objects significantly faster.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary