Re: double TABs question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: double TABs question
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:55:44 -0400

On 18-Sep-2008, Levente Torok wrote:

| On Thursday 18 September 2008, you wrote:
| > On 18-Sep-2008, Levente Torok wrote:
| >
| > | As I see readline has some progamability in this aspect too.
| > | http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/readline.html#IDX78
| > | I am not sure if it cannot be solved with this.
| >
| > Precisely what function are you referring to?
| > How do you propose to use it?
|
| When I enter
|               a=3
| octave says
| Display all 3933 possibilities? (y or n)
| and eats the rest of the sentence
|
| In matlab:
|
| No completions found.
| >> a=3
|
| a =
|
|      3
|
| The important thing here is this, maybe I get messages that "No completions
found" but I can
| still copy and paste codes from an editor and it will run. While in octave it
won't.
| So I am proposing to alter the function of TABTAB.
| With this amount of functions in the system, a question like "Display all
3933 possibilites?" make not much sense anyway.

| Ideally, when nothing is entered, TABTAB should be taken as \t\t. If
something has already been written then
| the original meaning (listing the possible options beginning with the text
already entered) would be perfect.
| I don't know if it possible.

As I see it, this is a readline issue.  It is really outside the scope
of the Octave project.  If there is a simple way to make this
configurable in readline, then find out what that is and show what
change a user can make to her ~/.inputrc file to change the behavior.
But I don't see anything to fix in Octave itself, and I would guess
that most of us here are not readline experts, so we are probably the
wrong people to be asking to fix that library.