ChangeLogs (was: Re: [changeset] don't remove whitespace within @example

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: ChangeLogs (was: Re: [changeset] don't remove whitespace within @example in docstrings)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:32:10 -0500

On  5-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Applied.

Thanks for applying this change.

It still seems confusing to me that you leave the ChangeLog entry
alone when applying patches.  If I do "hg log" now, I see

  changeset:   8444:c3ac9f2772cd
  tag:         tip
  user:        Thorsten Meyer <address@hidden>
  date:        Mon Jan 05 10:54:22 2009 +0100
  summary:     do not eat white space within @example environments of docstrings

at the top, but the ChangeLog entry for this change does not have a
Jan 5 date.  Instead, it has a 2008-11-07 date.  If I were looking at
this ChangeLog entry and wanted to find the corresponding changeset,
the date for the ChangeLog entry would not help me find the changeset.
This is why I think we should revise the date of the ChangeLog entry
when checking in changes so that new ChangeLog entries should always
appear at the top of the ChangeLog file.

Or, we should simply decide to do away with ChangeLog files entirely.
But if we do that, I think we should put much more complete commit
messages in the mercurial log files, and we should agree on a common
style for the commit messages.