Re: ChangeLogs

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:21:42 -0600

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
This is the one disadvantage of putting ChangeLog hunks in the patch file.
They are almost always rejected because some other entry has already been
placed at the top.  Anyone know of a command line switch to make diff force
the hunk to be at the top when patched?

No switch, AFAIK. But I've created a patch for Mercurial that accomplishes this
(or handles 99% cases): If a change to a ChangeLog file is detected that only
consists of prepended lines, the diff is done without context (so that
the hunk is
always prepended). Adjusting the date would be nontrivial, however.

Well, in that case Mercurial also records the date applied, I would think
(hope).  I'm in ChangeLog frame of mind, hence reasoning as below:

The patch date should be the date the patch was applied, not the date it was
created, in my opinion.

Maybe, but that's way more complicated. Moreover, what if the patch is
transplanted
later to another repo? Should the date of the ChangeLog entries be updated?
Much more work.

I'd have to think about that one.  But the advantage of organizing by date
patched is that when one knows roughly when something stopped working s/he can
quickly surmise what may have changed to cause the problem.

[snip]
3) Contributors who don't check in stuff can place a ChangeLog entry as a
hunk in the patch file.

Well, you can place the changelog entry in a mercurial patch. Still,
there's one entry
per patch, not per directory, so that's a minor drawback.

Good point.

Dan