Re: Doc changes for command line options

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Doc changes for command line options
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:38:57 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 10-Apr-2009, Rik wrote:
>
> | I've trawled through the code and found a two shell environment
> | variables and a command line option that are undocumented.  As these are
> | undocumented, they are probably not being used or are only in use by a
> | few select installations.  I want to get the blessing of the maintainers
> | list to change the names on three of these before writing them up and
> | exposing them to the world in the manual.
> |
> | --no-initial-path : Don't initialize the search path for function files
> | to include default locations.
> |
> | I propose to rename to --no-init-path which would match the existing
> | option --no-init-file and seems just as clear.
>
> I don't object to this change.
>
> | Environment variable: OCTAVE_SITE_INITFILE which defaults to
> | $OCTAVE_PREFIX/share/octave/$version/m/startup/octaverc
> |
> | Environment variable: OCTAVE_LOCAL_SITE_INITFILE which defaults to
> | $OCTAVE_PREFIX/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc
> |
> | I propose to rename the second variable to OCTAVE_VERSION_INITFILE.
>
> Did you mean rename the first since it's the one that contains the
> version info?
> | also propose to swap the two variables so that OCTAVE_SITE refers to
> | site/m/startup/octaverc and OCTAVE_VERSION refers to
> | $version/m/startup/octaverc.
>
> OK, now I'm confused about what the final arrangement of variables and
> values will be.  Maybe it would be clearer if you just sent a patch
> showing what you want to do.

It definitely was confusing which is why I wanted to simplify it.  The
environment variable OCTAVE_SITE_INITFILE now refers to
.../octave/site/m/startup/octaverc; The variable OCTAVE_VERSION_INITFILE
now refers to .../octave/$version/m/startup/octaverc.  I wrote the
original e-mail and didn't hear anything for a week so I committed the
changes.  The changeset was eb1747dbd360.  The documentation is updated
as well so that section 2.1.2, which discusses startup files, now
includes these variables.

--Rik