Re: [OctDev] Question on performance, coding style and competitive softw

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Question on performance, coding style and competitive software
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:02:50 +0200

ons, 22 04 2009 kl. 16:18 +0200, skrev Alois Schlögl:
> BTW, what are the arguments in favor of using octave-only coding style ?

It's superior :-)

I find reading code that uses Octave extensions are much more easy to
read. Therefore, I heavily use them in my own developments.

> This seems to suggest that a fork is neccessary in order to make the
> toolboxes applicable for matlab users. Is there an alternative ?

Even if we switched to using Matlab code style in all packages (not that
I'm suggesting such a policy) you would still have the problem that some
functions exist in Octave but not in Matlab. Should we then not allow
their usage in Octave-Forge. I think there is more to portability then
syntax.

Soren