Re: Stable repo

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Stable repo
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:43:38 -0400

On 24-Apr-2009, Rik wrote:

| I would pull from main to stable
| only during stage 1 when large changes are expected to be introduced.
| At some point stage 2 is declared and pulling stops and the work
| in the stable repo shifts to making sure newly the introduced code works
| well.

During stage 2 there could still be some smaller chanages in the main
archive that we would want to incorporate in the next release, so that
means applying those changes twice.

| Development in the main repo continues just as it ever did without regard to
| the schedule for the stable repo.

With that model, I think it will be difficult to get anyone to pay
attention to fixing bugs in the stable archive.  So I don't think
releases would happen because people tend to be more interested in
writing cool new features instead of getting things in shape for a
release (you can count me in that group too).

I don't think a short feature freeze really causes that much trouble,
especially since people can continue to work on new things in their
own archives, then merge them later, when the main development archive
is open for stage 1 or 2.