Re: 3.2.0

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: 3.2.0
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:43:58 +0100

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> Fine guess. Cell was still smuggled in by defun.h. While the simplest
> possible workaround is to just split the file into two parts, I think
> that instantiating Array<T> for a bazillion of different pointer types
> just for internal purposes is an useless code bloat anyway. So I
> changed all the arrays to Array<void *> and added reinterpret_cast
> conversions. I also included instantiation of Array<void *> in
> liboctave, as it may be of general interest. Array.cc is no longer
> included in ov-typeinfo.cc. let me know if you find more problems.

Thanks Jaroslav. I really appreciate your support on these issues.
Your solution fixes the problem.

I have attached the remaining patches that make octave compilable
under MSVC. I tried to split them into logical pieces such that it's
easier to discuss them. Some are trivial, others not.

patch_config: some fixes for configure checks
patch_export: missing xxx_API tags to export the required symbols
patch_extern_template: required "extern template" to avoid implicit
     template instantiation and duplicate symbols
patch_missing_return: missing return statement
patch_mkstemp: Win32 does not have mkstemp, so I emulated it
     with mktemp; this is required as the new help system needs
     a working version of mkstemp
patch_pthread: move pthread.h inclusion to the right location
patch_templates: help MSVC to resolve T determination
patch_texi2dvi: MiKTeX (that I use under Win32) has too low default
     value for save_size; I searched hard, but couldn't change that using
     some config file; this can be kept out octave source tree
patch_volatile: complete version of the fix from John regarding the
     problem with volatile variables (discussed earlier today)
support_cpp_scripts: compile C++ versions of mkoctfile, octave-bug
     and octave-config; based on non-empty $(EXEEXT); adaptation
     of Benjamin's patch

Michael.