Re: plot and image demos (growing window)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: plot and image demos (growing window)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:09:40 -0400

On May 27, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On May 27, 2009, at 12:48 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

Using the current development version I just did

more off
rundemos plot
rundemos image

and stepped through all the demos and everything looks good except
for the following:

* the demo for comet causes the plot window to grow in the vertical
  dimension (hmm, this happened twice, but then it seems to not be
  100% repeatable).

* the first surfl demo, the contrast demo, and the first imshow demo
  all showed the warning

    warning: range error for conversion to character value

  but that only happened when running all the demos with rundemos
  plot followed by rundemos image, not when running them
  individually.

* sombrero produced warnings from gnuplot

    multiplot> et origin 0, 0
               ^
               line 1092: invalid command

    Press <enter> to continue:
    multiplot> u
                nset view;
               ^
               line 1092: invalid command

  but this only happened once (?!).  Other runs of this demo seemed
  to work OK.  So I don't know what might have caused problems
  sending data to gnuplot.

Does anyone else see these problems?  Any clues about what could be
causing the warnings?  Is something sometimes not reset properly when
a new figure is created?

jwe

I'd thought the growing window had been fixed. I had encountered this when adding support for the figure position. Unfortunately, each time the position and size of the figure was specified via gnuplot's "set term ..." command the window had some probability of growing by one character height. The solution was to only specify the window position and size when the figure was created (i.e. only for the original "set term ...")

If I recall correctly you are running gnuplot 4.2.5. Perhaps this version of gnuplot behaves a bit different than 4.2.4/4.2.3?

This looks like a feature of gnuplot. When a subsequent "set term x11 ..." command is encountered before the prior plot-stream completes there appears to be some unintended interaction between gnuplot and x11 which causes the window to grow.

For example, try ...

        for n=1:100; plot(1:1000); drawnow; end

Adding the command "unset mouse" the the beginning of the plot-stream eliminates the problem. Shall a "unset mouse" be added to be beginning of each plot-stream? (changeset attached) ... If desired a "set mouse" may added at the end of the plot-stream. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to detect the state of "set/unset mouse". We could obtain the x11 window ID and ask x11 for the window size while toggling the mouse state, but is it worth the hassle?

Ben