Re: FYI: bsxfun optimized

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: FYI: bsxfun optimized
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:00:05 -0700

On 10/20/2009 03:10 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
In fact I
think most systems, including Linux, hide the physical memory details
pretty well from applications. OTOH, it certainly is possible - cf.
GNOME system monitor...
On Linux systems cat /proc/meminfo tells you quite
a lot.
In any case, I'll repeat my usual statement that if you're really
short of memory, Octave (or Matlab, for that matter) isn't a good
language to use at all, like probably any language that lacks a
pass-by-reference semantics (even though otherwise it's so cool
there's no mutable/immutable mess compared to, say, Python).
Agreed.  In any case most systems these days provide,
or at least allow large virtual address space so the only
problem is excessive swapping due to limited real memory.
Real memory is cheap these days...