Re: libtool and mkoctfile

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:42:19 -0500

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:07 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> need some precise instructions about how to construct the same build
> environment that you have on a Windows system.  So far, no one has
> posted any instructions that would help me do that, or pointed me to
> an existing document that clearly describes how to build Octave on a
> Windows system.

You're probably way ahead of me at this point, but I feel like I'm
finally making some progress toward building 3.2.3 on Windows. Here's
what I've been able to figure out. I think it boils down to
discovering that this exists:

   svn co
https://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/mingw32
mingw32

I found this via Matusuoka-san's instructions at:

   http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/ReadmeBriefOctBuildMingw.html

A big thank you to Matsuoka-san for pointing me toward the svn. After
wading through the MSYS/MinGW website I have to say the SVN repository
is an amazing sea tranquility and sane build scripts. I wish I had
found this so much sooner. So, now it looks like I'm making progress
in compiling 3.2.3.

* I cloned the svn repository using TortoiseSVN to O:\octave. Then I
saw the comments at the top of

  install-mingw32-4.4.0.bat
  install-msys-1.0.11.bat

There are two parts--first getting executables the bat files require
and also downloading archives for the bat files to process. I put the
required programs inside:

  O:\bootstrap

NOTE: Things seem to get very cranky if mount points get crossed. My
C:\ was too small so everything is on O:\. O:\bootstrap contains:

    wget.exe
    bsdtar.exe
    sed.exe
    libiconv2.dll
    regex2.dll
    bzip2.dll
    libarchive2.dll
    libintl3.dll
    zlib1.dll

(I can ZIP this up for anyone that wants it -- getting them is
described in the bat files)

I then downloaded all the files listed in mingw32/mingw32-gcc-url.txt
and msys/msys-url.txt using wget on linux and transferred them into
the mingw32 and msys directories on windows.

* Add O:\bootstrap to the end of the Windows Path environment variable

* Run install-mingw32-4.4.0.bat (double click). I choose O:\MinGW
  for the install path.

* The next thing I did was use the MSYS-1.0.11.exe setup installer.
  This probably isn't necessary if you know what you're doing.
  (I couldn't figure out how to start msys after it was installed
  by install-msys-1.0.11.bat). I installed to O:\msys\1.0

  The installer will ask for the path to MinGW at the end and it will
  complain about not finding the gcc compilers not existing in
  the installed MinGW. I think this is because the MSYS installer
  wants to rename them but install-mingw32-4.4.0.bat has already
  done that. It doesn't matter. I was just using it for the
  shortcut. Shortcut info:

    Target:     O:\msys\1.0\msys.bat -norxvt
    Start in:   O:\msys\1.0\bin
    Run:        Normal window

* Now run install-msys-1.0.11.bat (double click). I choose O:\msys\1.0
  i.e. the same place as the installer.

* Copy O:\msys\1.0\etc\fstab.example to O:\msys\1.0\etc\fstab and
  set the path for /mingw to go to the MinGW install directory.
  Mine looks like:

    o:/mingw            /mingw

* Remove O:\bootstrap from the end of the Windows Path environment
  variable

* Start MSYS

    $ cd \o\octave
    $ ./gcc44_build_dep.sh

That's as far as I've made it. There are other scripts in there and
I'm not sure the correct order of running them, but I think the build
environment is working. It's still compiling and hasn't been angry
yet. I have no idea when it will finish. I'm assuming that the next
steps are:

./gcc44_install_dep.sh

Maybe convert gcc43_build_tools.sh gcc43_build_octave.sh into gcc44 versions?

--judd