Re: Color output for documentation eps images

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Color output for documentation eps images
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:13:11 -0800

>> Maybe we don't need to follow them slavishly?  The documentation from
>> Matlab is here:
>> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/print.html.
>> There is a printopts.m file which is configurable to set the default
>> print engine so at least there is a way to get around specifying
>> '-color' for every single saved plot.
>>
>> Also, for consistency we should probably generate black and white
>> postscripts when printing.  I just did a test and printed an image with
>> no arguments.  My printer wasn't plugged in so I could take a look at
>> the generated file in the printer spool.  It is a color file apparently
>> generated with '-dpsc2'
>>
>> --Rik
>>

> I'd forgotten about Matlab's printopt.
>
> Shall we add this to Octave?

I'd say yes.  But, I'd also vote for changing the default printer driver
to '-dpsc2' immediately.  As you wrote in an earlier e-mail, nothing bad
is going to happen if a color file gets generated.  It will be passed
seamlessly by color devices and squashed to monochrome by those who
can't handle color.  I've been bitten by printing a figure to a file
only to have to redo it because it came out in black and white.

--Rik