Re: compiling development sources on mac

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: compiling development sources on mac
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:29:40 -0500

On Dec 19, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Rik wrote:

>> I thought I'd mention that I just discovered that I've been using
>> autoconf 2.5 instead of the required 2.6+
>> Apparently there are some requirement/build-dependcies that are not checked
>> as I'd expected (no errors).
>>

>> http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Minimum-requirements-for-new-builds-tt26305455.html#a26856298
>>
>>      Automake >= 1.11
>>      Libtool >= 2.2.2
>>      Autoconf >= 2.6.0
>>
> The mininum build requirement was updated to autoconf 2.6.2 about 2.5
> weeks ago.  The file configure.ac has checks for all three programs and
> their versions.  I just did a simple test and bumped the AC_PREREQ
> number above my currently installed version of autoconf and it correctly
> flags an error and aborts the autogen process.  This was on a Linux
> system rather than a Mac.
>
> --Rik

Strange ... I've been building with current sources for several days using an
older autoconf. While the build process was very fragile, it did not complain.
However, after a build with automake=1.12, libtool=2.2.6b, and autoconf=2.65,
downgrading autoconf does result in an error and autogen aborts!

My build process is no longer fragile either. For example, I can now "make
clean" without errors.

Ben