Re: stubs for missing functions

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: stubs for missing functions
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:04:29 -0700

tir, 23 03 2010 kl. 15:52 -0700, skrev Soren Hauberg:
> tir, 23 03 2010 kl. 18:33 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> > We frequently see people sending bug reports or questions on the help
> > list about functions that are available in Matlab but missing from
> > Octave.
> [snip]
> > Comments?
>
> I think this idea is good. Just a few minor comments/questions:

Ohh, I also forgot to mention that this might be annoying when it comes
to tab-completion. I would find it really confusing if I pressed tab and
was confronted with a list of functions that I actually couldn't use.
Perhaps a solution would be to have a function 'isstub' that determined
if a function was only a stub. The warning system and the tab-completion
system could then skip functions where 'isstub' returns true. Such a
function would also be of use to me in the 'generate_html' package that
we use to create the Octave-Forge web site. This would allow us to not
generate web pages for stubs or at least to mark it clearly that the
function is but a stub.

Soren