Re: Creating pdf documentation images with Octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Creating pdf documentation images with Octave
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:06:45 -0400

On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Rik wrote:

> 9/28/10
>
> Okay, this is all implemented in changeset 11039:4cbb08163a1f checked in
> today.  I get the following warnings when creating the pdfs, but the files
> themselves are fine.
>
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
>
> --Rik

Currently only the FLTK backend uses epstool and fig2dev, but not to produce
pdf. The warnings are given in __print_parse_opse__.m since that function looks
for them. The function __fltk_print__.m determines if they are needed.

If either of these tools aren't present, the warning is only given once.

I'd like to change the behavior associated with the warnings, but haven't been
happy with any solutions I've come up with.

(1) Should the user be made aware that these tools are not available, even if
he doesn't currently use them?
(2) Should the warnings only be given when the tool is needed?
(3) Should the help text document which output devices depend upon these tools?
(4) other?

In any event, you can ignore the warnings.

Ben