Re: GotoBLAS2 license

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: GotoBLAS2 license
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:22:24 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Fredrik Lingvall <address@hidden> wrote:
> This has perhaps been discussed before but I read at the
> http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/ site:
>
> GotoBLAS2
>
> GotoBLAS2 has been released by the Texas Advanced Computing Center as open
> source software under the BSD license. This product is no longer under
> active development by TACC, but it is being made available to the community
> to use, study, and extend. GotoBLAS2 uses new algorithms and memory
> techniques for optimal performance of the BLAS routines. The changes in this
> final version target new architecture features in microprocessors and
> interprocessor communication techniques; also, NUMA controls enhance
> multi-threaded execution of BLAS routines on node.
>
> Does this finally make it compatible with Octave's license?
>
> I also noticed that one do not need to login anymore to get the sources:
> http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/gotoblas2/downloads/
>
> /Fredrik

This is great news. I had been building Octave with GotoBLAS2 for long
time with excellent performance results (significantly better than
ATLAS in many cases). I recommend it to everyone. GotoBLAS2 builds
together with lapack 3.1.1 automatically, but it's not hard to change
it to 3.2.x if you want to try. GotoBLAS2 is also free of the CHERK
bugs that some ATLAS versions found in distros have (not sure if this
has been fixed in ATLAS already).