Re: 3.4.1 release and FLTK

From: Rik
Subject: Re: 3.4.1 release and FLTK
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:35:33 -0700

On 04/04/2011 03:35 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

> I would like to add: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32980
>
> This is the fact that OpenGL accepts doubles but converts
> to single.  Thus if some data points are outside the float range they are
> plotted incorrectly.  Also, if axes are specified outside the float range they
> are not handled correctly.  This case is pretty obvious, but the data
> points getting "lost" is not.  No warning or error is issued in these cases.
>
> Gnuplot handles this correctly.  So, people expect correct double results.
>
> I would say that until this is fixed the fltk backend cannot be considered
> to be reliable.
I absolutely agree, but I don't think we need this for the 3.4.1 release.
I thought the switchover from gnuplot to FLTK as the default was expected
only before the next major release, i.e., 3.6.  Also, I'm not sure that
this has a simple fix.  Do we just need to add listeners on the
xdata,ydata,zdata channels and warn if values exceed 1e38?

--Rik