Re: Release 3.4.1

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: Re: Release 3.4.1
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 21:25:39 -0600

On 04/06/2011 06:20 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
Instead of -release, we should be using -version-info
CURRENT:REVISION:AGE as described in the libtool manual and increment
these version tags as needed using the guidelines in the libtool
manual.  Then we have a better way to track binary compatibility of
the libraries.

Absolutely.

Given that we don't have a stable published API I don't think that we
should try to guarantee that any .oct file build for any release 3.4.x
can be used with any other 3.4.x release because to do that means that
we are not even allowed to add new public functions to the libraries.
If we did have a published API for .oct file developers to use, then
I'd be more willing to make this guarantee as well, at least for the
API functions.  But we don't, so it seems quite restricting to require
that we can't add functions to the libraries when fixing bugs.

Just to note that there is no need to bump the soname version when you are just adding functions as that does not break backwards compatibility. You can express this as well with the proper incrementing of the various version numbers in the -version-info option.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  address@hidden