Mercurial download: "bootstrap" requires, but does not build, several ".

From: Daniel Wagenaar
Subject: Mercurial download: "bootstrap" requires, but does not build, several ".mk" files
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:19:10 -0700

Dear Octave developers,

Having access to the mercurial source is terrific. However, my first build attempt was made more difficult by the fact that the "bootstrap" script fails with error messages about missing files:

  doc/interpreter/images.mk
  liboctave/vx-op-src.mk (and several other .mk files)
  src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/modules.mk

As you are probably aware, these files are generated by the scripts

  doc/interpret/config-images.sh
  liboctave/config-ops.sh
  src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/config-module.sh

After I ran those scripts, "bootstrap" worked fine. Would it be appropriate to add code to the "bootstrap" script to call those three "config.sh" files directly?

As a side note, it might be helpful to add a "README.mercurial" file that gives basic build instructions. It probably won't take anybody long to figure out to run the "bootstrap" script, but when I got error messages from that, I spent a fair amount of time looking around to see if I had failed to follow proper instructions.

To reproduce the problem (as of 4/8/2011):

  cd /tmp
  rm -rf octave
  hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
  cd octave
  ./bootstrap

Thanks for your work on octave,

Daniel Wagenaar.
--
Daniel A. Wagenaar, PhD
Broad Senior Research Fellow in Brain Circuitry