Quint logos?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Quint logos?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:16:52 -0500

Jacob, I saw you pushed logos to hg.

(1) Do you really want to keep Quint as a separate thing? It shouldn't
have a name. It should be "Octave", it should be the GUI, it doesn't
need a separate branding. We don't need another independent project
that will get abandoned and mostly forgotten in a year. "Quint" can be
its development codename, but we should discard the separate name and
branding soon. In fact, can you please use the new Octave logo
instead? It's this one, and Fotios Kasolis (search the mailing list
archive) has made other variations of it:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/images//logo.png

The colours are important. I'm also using them, for example, in Agora,
if that thing ever gets off the ground:

    http://agora.panocha.org.mx/

We are making plans to merge Quint into Savannah, starting by
integrating its build system. Don't worry, we'll still be using qmake,
but for example Quint.pro should be filled in with values with
autotools, not with mkoctfile, so that the Quint build is tied to the
Octave build instead of relying on whatever's installed on te system.

(2) It's a little pointless to have binary files under source control,
and it's a big problem if the binary files are large. Don't get in the
habit of doing this. There are hg extensions if you want to track
binary files along with source. Small files are ok, but be careful
with this general approach.

- Jordi G. H.