Re: ARPACK situation

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: ARPACK situation
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:52:50 +0300

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 03:04:55 +0000
"Lehoucq, Richard" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jordi,
>
> Thank you for your well articulated email. ARPACK is the property of
> Rice University and so any "upstream" decision ultimately resides
> with Rice.

But this is not really the question, is it? The ARPACK code is BSD
licensed, which means anyone can take it and do practically anything
with it. Creating a fork is allowed. Or even changing the license.

Since upstream has no interest in maintaining the code, we're talking
about building a community to maintain an "official" distribution.
Otherwise things will be as they used to: every software project will
actually carry a fork of their own, with a different applied patch set.
And this is far from optimal.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor