Plans for hierarchical profiler

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Plans for hierarchical profiler
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:06:28 +0200

Hi,

since (besides working out the flaws still present in profiling
anonymous functions -- see my last mail) the next goal is hierarchical
profiling, here are some thoughts about it (basically about the
interface).  Comments welcome!

Basically, I'm thinking about an interactive command-line interface to
explore the call-tree.  (Later, we could also think about generating
some output; like the Matlab HTML; or even gprof/callgrind data for use
with those tools.)

So one would do:

profile on;
...do something...
profile off;
profshow (profile ('info'), 'hierarchical');

And then the user will be presented with all "top-level" calls together
with their times; like:

1: foo, 2s
2: bar, 0.02s
3: operator \, 0.1s

Next, (s)he can choose one of those branches to go down.  Say, type in
1.  Then all direct childs of foo will be shown, as above; maybe also
the 'self' time spent directly at this level:

foo (self 1.5s)
  1: operator *, 0.05s
  2: myfunc, 0.45s

...and so on.  There should (at least) be commands to step down, up,
maybe go back to the root, and exit the tree-explorer.

Does this sound like a reasonable interface?  Or should I do it
different?  How would you like hierarchical data presented?

Note that here again, I will seperate the backend from the interface --
i.e., make __profile_data or possibly a new function return the tree as
Octave data structure, and have profshow.m interpret it and handle the
interactive stuff.  Thus, we can easily change the interface or add new
presentation options.

Yours,
Daniel

- --
or use https://safesend.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri