Re: Fwd: [Announce] GSoC 2011 Mentors/Org Admins: Reminder: "Pencils Dow

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Announce] GSoC 2011 Mentors/Org Admins: Reminder: "Pencils Down" Dates Approaching
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 19:11:32 +0200

Hi Jordi and all,

On 08/10/11 18:46, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> Daniel, FYI, time is running short. Will you be able to implement
> hierarchical profiles in the remaining time? It's a pity that you
> started a bit later than the GSoC alloted time because your school
> calendar is different than what Google expects. You can still work
> on the code after Monday, if you wish, but as far as the delivery
> that Google expects, we need to finish up quickly. Ignore the
> segfault for now and keep working on the hierarchical profile.

yes, I also got the reminder.  However, as it stands, Monday is "just"
the "soft" pencils-down.  So I really think it would be perfectly valid
(even for Google) to "polish up" the profiler by finishing the (already
started -- I could even provide a working patch which just switched
internal data collection to hierarchical but doesn't yet expose the new
data; should I?) implementation.

Besides, the deliverables Google wants are just that they have
"something" because their lawyers want to have some results from the
program.  So I really think we have at least time until the 21st; I can
submit what I have then to Google, and continue working on it for Octave.

That said, here are some other plans I have:

* Actually, I believe that I should be able to get hierarchical
profiling working (at least the backend data and also returning it;
maybe not a fully working and "nice" interface) until Monday or at least
during the next week, so well before the "hard" pencils-down date.

* I will be on holiday (with my girlfriend, so I don't intent to work on
any stuff) starting at 21st.  She's got two weeks vacation, so maybe I
won't be able to work on things the full time.  Afterwards I have still
holidays from my university through out the whole of September and
should have time to continue work.

* What I still plan to do at very least (more if ideas come up and time
permits) is to finish hierarchical profiling (including some kind of
interface), work out the anonymous functions problem, and also fix up
documentation.  I'm not sure how the manual is generated and have the
feeling that the docstrings may be automatically collected there, but I
also think that some kind of "how to use the profiler" tutorial (besides
the documentation of profile and profshow) should be useful.  So I'll
try to write one, even if it will not be included in the main manual I'd
like to provide it at least as an additional ressource.

Cheers,
Daniel

- --
or use https://safesend.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri