Re: Amusing error in urlread

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Amusing error in urlread
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:10:56 -0500

2010/8/4 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On changeset 10826:c02e7aca868f I'm seeing,
>
>     octave:1> s = urlread ("ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/README";);
>     error: urlread: curl: No error
>
> and s doesn't get the contents of the README.
>
> Before I dive in to see what's going on, does someone have an
> immediate idea of what could be happening?

A little over a year later, I pushed the following that at least
produces more informative error messages.

     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/27e5f0e79f19

Turns out that the curl function previously used only reports
connection errors, but if the connection succeeds and there is another
error (in this case, it was empty reply from server), the
curl_easy_getinfo function would report "no error" which lead to the
"error: no error" message.

As to the actual problem I was experiencing, I suspect a curl bug with
proxies. I'll check wiith upstream to see if I can fix it with them.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.