Re: Octave without Xcode

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave without Xcode
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:44:47 -0500

On Jan 23, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

> I'm moving this discussion to the maintainers' list.
>
> 2012/1/23 Alexander Hansen <address@hidden>:
>
>> A fair number of open-source packages require headers from the SDKs
>> from Xcode by default to build on OS X.
>
> Well, as far as we're concerned, do we require Xcode? Should we be
> telling Octave users who want to install a few Octave-Forge packages
> that they have to first get Apple's permission to do so?
>
> Also, Octave isn't primarily open source, so that limitation shouldn't
> concern us either. ;-)
>
>> By avoiding the native windowing system in favor of X11, (but not the
>> official one provided by Apple, whose SDK is in Xcode) it might be
>> possible to avoid Xcode, but I've never tried.
>
> What is the SDK that Xcode provides and you can't compile without?
>
> It seems very strange that there are free compilers for MacIntosh
> personal computers but no free way to use them (i.e. without
> registering with Apple and agreeing to their clickthroughs). Is this
> really the current state of affairs?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I think it is possible to avoid Xcode, but all the package managers on MacOS
I've looked at require it.

The Apple frameworks I link to are X11, Carbon, and vecLib.

I agree with Alexander, and think I can do without all of them, but haven't
tried using XQuartz (instead of Apple's X11/Xcode combo) since I moved to OSX
10.7 (Lion).

        http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

Ben