Re: Windows (and Mac OS X?) packagers: GPL is not a EULA nor a clickthro

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Windows (and Mac OS X?) packagers: GPL is not a EULA nor a clickthrough
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:24:03 +0000

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/3/7 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
>> On  7-Mar-2012, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> | I know it's common practice to make Windows installers where you press
>> | next, next, next until the program is installed. If you've made one of
>> | those for Octave, usually one of the next buttons is about a license,
>> | at least that is the case with the NSIS installer. If it's possible to
>> | omit that screen entirely, please do so. If not, please put some bogus
>> | text in there explaining how the NSIS installer makes it difficult to
>> | omit this screen but that you don't need to accept the GPL in order to
>> | use Octave. Please also do similar for the Mac OS X bundle if it works
>> | in a similar fashion.
>>
>> It seems to me that the text on that screen should be short and
>> explain the GPL in simple terms with a link to the GPL or an option to
>> view it.  It might be a good idea to display this information even if
>> is not required by the installer script generator software.
>
> Right, my point is more about how you have to click on "I agree" or
> tick a box that says that before you're allowed to hit "next". This is
> awkward for the GPL. I like what Firefox does (or did?) where it just
> installed and after installation it shows a splash screen that has a
> link that says "know your rights" if you really care to know.

If that's the "I agree" text that bothers you, that can be easily
changed to simply say "Next" (without to have to tick any box). Or the
page can simply by skipped, it's as easy. I you want another text to
be displayed, please provide the text and I'll include it.

Michael.