Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Sébastien

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have any idea about how to avoid the openblas crashes you are
experiencing. I has also experienced  crashes on some XP machines (with
"older" pentium cpus) I have tested with openblas while the modern cpus with
win7 where much more stable. I didn't perform many tests with the
atlas-3.8.4 based dlls.

I do not know whether these crashes were octave faults or openblas faults.

There are also some openblas dlls manually tuned for specific cpu
architecture which installers may try in case the auto-detection mechanism
of the default openblas doesn't work properly but I think that the
atlas-3.8.4 tuned for ht-pentium may be the best general solution and even
think (depending on more testing and feedback) about making it the default
one in next releases.

Regarding previous mingw octave releases, both 3.4.3 (20111025) and 3.6.0
(20120128) have atlas-3.9.19 (tuned by Tatsuro for modern core i5) as a
default. This atlas is also know to be less stable than the atlas-3.8.4
based dlls of the recent 3.6.1 mingw ditsribution.

Nitzan

Sébastien Villemot wrote