bin2dec behavior different from Matlab?

From: Miguel Bazdresch
Subject: bin2dec behavior different from Matlab?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:57:14 -0600

Hello,

In my teaching I encourage students to use Octave, but some of them cling to Matlab. Today we found different behavior between the two:

In Octave, both 3.4 and 3.6,

> s=num2str([1 0 1])
s = 1   0   1
> bin2dec(s)
ans =  257

In Matlab (version 2009), the same commands result in number 5.

I believe Octave is interpreting the spaces in 's' as zeros, which explain the answer of 257. In any case, this difference in behavior is something we may want to address. Personally, I find Matlab's behavior to be more reasonable and useful in this particular case.

Best regards,

--
Miguel Bazdresch