Re: OctConf 2012 comments and questions

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: OctConf 2012 comments and questions
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:51:20 -0400

On 28 July 2012 11:20, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> I would be interested if other people
>> shared their thoughts too, by whatever means they prefer.
>> [...]
>>     http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/octconf-2012-report/
>
> So, FWIW, here are my thoughts and questions, as a non-attendee.
[skip]
> Is the plan to eventually integrate OpenGL plotting capability into the GUI?

Yes. I'd like to see QtHandles merged into Octave. This was one of the
goals in the "desirable" category for Jacob's GSoC, but I don't know
how close he is to be able to start working on this. I'm going to be
reviewing his GUI code in depth today and tomorrow to get an idea of
where we are.

> Will there eventually be a single octave binary that runs both
> command-line and GUI modes, similar to emacs?
>
>> Agora Octave and Packaging by Carlo de Falco, David Pinto and Juan
>> Pablo Carbajal.
>
> I'm very interested in where this is going. The slides leave a lot
> to the imagination :) Is there a more detailed explanation of what
> this is about, or can one of you write something up?

There's right now two exciting SOCIS applicants who might work on
Agora (but we can only accept one):

    http://wiki.octave.org/ESA_Summer_of_Code_in_Space#Project_proposal_9
    https://gist.github.com/5a222e8f5a834ed9459f

Being optimistic, Agora may soon be functional, and we can then
reorganise our contributions.

>> Have a public list of release goals, editable only by project
>> admins.
>
> This is something I've been meaning to suggest for a while. I think
> Octave really needs a roadmap, release goals, and a release
> schedule, either calendar-based or feature-based.

We have some rough ideas of where to take Octave, but we really should
do this more formally and publicly. There's many new exciting features
in development: the GUI, JIT compiling, Agora, and the new classdef
branch that just got pushed to Savannah (thanks, jwe!).

We talked about making release goals public on the web site, and we
are looking in to having a more formal steering committee. We don't
have a formal organization for that yet.

- Jordi G. H.